The inscription, “Walters,” on the upper center margin of this wash drawing suggests that this was developed as a specific study for the watercolor titled Wild Horses (CR# 449B) that was part of the William Walters commission of 1858 – 1859. In the final work, the two mounted observers are eliminated, thus providing more focus on the six combative horses at the forefront of the composition.
Peter H. Hassrick
UR: Group of Wild Horses seen from an Eminence near the ‘Sweet Water.’ UC: Walters
The artist; by descent to Louisa Whyte Norton; [Old Print Shop, New York, NY, 1947]; Everett D. Graff, Winnetka, IL; Robert C. Graff; present owner by gift